Saturday 29 November 2014

.. This wee Pixie's cup continues to overflow ...

** Pic utilised for illustrative purposes only


So the wee Tink and I are walking through one of our local malls this morning. At the age of 5 I s'pose she possesses a sense of curiosity considered normal for her age range. The following questions amongst the myriad of others which she shoots off at her wee Pixie-mum, are the two I remember most clearly:

Tink: Mummy, why are there so few acorns in the decorations. I only see them once in every isle?
Pixie-mum: I'm not sure, luv - perhaps it is so we that are actually able to notice them when we see them. If they had been strung up all over the place we might find them too ordinary and completely overlook them ....

Tink: Mummy, How did the store get those balls and stars and trimmings so high against the roof?
Pixie-mum: I'm not sure, luv - Actually, I have NO idea, sweetheart. (my reason for not fabricating a story should become obvious momentarily)
Tink:  You know Mummy - Actually, I think that they must have just used a ladder.

I indulge the wee Tink's fantasy and make-believe and am quite pleased that she is anamored with, among other things, The Tooth Fairy, The Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. 

She, pleasantly, surprises me every then-n-then, though. E.g. A week ago she was doing something which compelled me to ensure that she knows that certain things are not real - she responded with a very casual and too cutely mature: "I know, Mummy, I was just pretending ... "

We are surrounded by so much  r e a l i t y   that I remain a firm believer that children MUST hold on to their innocence for as long as it is possible and practical. AND we MUST do everything in our power to nurture that innocence.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and dropping in.. Please let me know how you found my wee blog? And if you're a returning visitor the let me know what made you return?

Pixie :)