Thursday 29 January 2015

My Top 20 "Most beautiful phrases in Literature"







My 'Top 20' favorites amidst someone else's ... "Most beautiful phrases in Literature"

01. "I have one thing to say, one thing only. I’'ll never say it another time, to anyone, and I ask you to remember it: In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live"
- Thomas Kincaide to Francesca - Robert James Waller, The Bridges of Madison County

02. "The pieces I am, she gather them and gave them back to me in all the right order."
- Toni Morrison, Beloved

03. "Journeys end in lovers meeting"
- William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

04. "One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us."
- Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices

05. "Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering."
- Nicole Krauss, The History of Love

06. "The half life of love is forever."
- Junot Diaz, This Is How You Lose Her

07. "I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"
—W. B. Yeats, Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

08. "It frightened him to think what must have gone to the making of her eyes."
- Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

09. "For poems are like rainbows; they escape you quickly."
- Langston Hughes, The Big Sea

10. "Do I dare ... Disturb the universe?"
- T. S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

11. "She wasn’t doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together."
- J. D. Salinger, "A Girl I Knew"

12. "I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am."
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

13. "'Dear God,’ she prayed, 'let me be something every minute of every hour of my life'."
- Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

14. "The curves of your lips rewrite history."
- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

15. "A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it."
- Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

16. "And in that moment, I swear... We were infinite"
- Steve Czbosky

17. "At the still point, there the dance is."
- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets"

18. "It might be that to surrender to happiness was to accept defeat, but it was a defeat better than many victories."
- W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage

19. "It was awful thoughts, and awful words, but they were said. And I let them stay said: and never thought no more about reforming"
- Tom Sawyer

20. "Naught's had, all's spent, when our desire is got without content
Tis better to be that which we destroy than by destruction live in doubtful joy"
- Lady Macbeth





.Tri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and dropping in.. Please let me know how you found my wee blog? And if you're a returning visitor the let me know what made you return?

Pixie :)